Question
Posted by: Lynda | 2006/03/30

Fat Monster Cat

Please help. My 5yr old female cat is turning into a monster. She just wants to eat when she is awake and the rest of the time she just sleeps. Every morning at 3h00am she wakes me up either by hitting me in the face with her claws, pulling my hair, ripping up my books, or anything else she knows will get me up and out of bed because she wants food. I haven't had a good night sleep for over 8 months. What is going on with her???

She is a small built cat weighing 5.5kg. I can see she is overweight. I feed her Friskies Fine Cuts Twice a day which is the normal amount. I catch her on numerous occassions eating the other cats food finished after they have finished eating - I have three cats and I feed them all seperately in an attempt to curb my fat monster cat's eating compulsion.

I love her dearly but she is driving me up the wall. I give her so much attention. We play with her at least for 15 minutes a day when she is in the mood. When I am working in the garden she is at my side all the time.

Is something wrong with her physically or psychologically?

Hi Lynda

No nothing physically wrong with her. Psychologically no, she has just learnt that you respond in the way she wants you to. Intelligence is the correct word for her. You now have to take action and notify her that it is unacceptable to you. Firstly make sure that there are no health problems, maybe have some bloods taken to be sure. Rule out diabetes, anything else.
Then you can purchase a water pistol and put some citronella oil in it. When she wakes you at that time in the morning, you could spray her with it. Make sure she has toys of her own to keep her occupied if she wants, and if she scratches you, close the bedroom door. I would possibly not close the bedroom door, because she might hang on the handle on the other side and keep you awake like that. Best is to allow her access to the room which could help you correct this problem.
You should consider changing the food over to hills of iams. It is a bit of a better food and with possibly more elements in it to help her feel full. Be careful though because she will also pick up weight on that. Feed her light then. The trick with the pistol is that she does not see it coming from you. She has to associate what she is doing with the pistol and not you.

CDV
Animal Behaviourist

5
Posted by: shadow | 2006/04/04

I have adopted a huge boy who is rapidly turning into a fat monster as well. When i try to put him on a diet, he hunts and leaves all the bird left-overs in the house, usually just the crop and its contents. Or he goes to my neighbour, looking very pathetic and getting sympathy and Hills there. I don't want him to roam, hunt, beg and steal so it's safer to feed him instead. I haven't weighed him yet.

My sister has one that weighs over 9 kg. He gets furious if she doesn't respond to his pathetic wailing for food. Then he puffs himself up and gets nasty.

Vets generally make you feel like an animal abuser if you take such a fat cat for his injections. It's not fair, we don't fatten them like that deliberately!

Reply to shadow
Posted by: Sunrise | 2006/03/31

After my aunt had her cat fixed she put on a few pounds I'm sure. (Sorry, U.S. we have a different meaiserment/wight system, and I'm not sure how to convert) She went from a little bitty kitty, to a big fat momma cat. Her name also happens to be Momma Cat.

My sister cat is MASSIVE. Oh she isn't fat by any means, she's just huge! My mom and me compare her to a small bobcat, because she is so large in size, but not weight.

Reply to Sunrise
Posted by: Cat Lover | 2006/03/31

I had to laugh! I think we all know of a fmc. My moms is huge, he takes up most of the bed when he sleeps and he tries to help himself to food for his midnight snack. He is on Hills Light but to no avail. When he feels hungry he knows how to open kitchen doors and get into the packet. You just see this big fat bum sticking out of the packet.
But, he is a very gentle boy that loves his food. (wont catch anything though, if he sees an insect, he miaows untill my mom removes it)

Reply to Cat Lover
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2006/03/30

If you think you have a fat monster cat, you must see one of mine. His name is Tommy and he weighs 9 kgs. Unfortunately my other 13 cats come in at different times to eat so he gollops all day long. I have tired to put the dry food away but he wait until he sees one of those come in who hasn't had food, waits until he has had his share and then finishes the rest. They all get Hills Science, Lucky Pet in the morning, Tasty Mince in the evening of cooked chicken or if they are lucky baby hake. My vet has set he will die earlier than my other thaks to his obesity but a least he will die a happy cat. He agrees it is impossible to put him on a diet as we have neigbours with cats too and I don't want him to cause any trouble there either. Otherwise he seems healthy and for all his bulk moves very swiftly if the need arises. The only thing I object to is when we go to bed that he insists on lying on my sore leg with his 9 kilos and then I get up and move him to another cosy place - doesn;t always work. Oh well.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Renee | 2006/03/30

Hi Lynda

I have a similar problem. I adopted the cat 7 months ago so I don't know if this is her usual behaviour.

I do find, however, that dividing her supper in 2 and supplying half at supper and leaving half out at night, works.

I've also switched to Iams light which is helping with the weight problem.

I would like advice about how to stop her coming to my room in the middle of the night. She generally behaves but still wakes me wanting to have her head rubbed.

This is really the only time she demands attention.

Reply to Renee