Question
Posted by: diana | 2003/03/05

Fat content in Fruit Jams

I wanted to find out about the fat content in fruit jam. I have gotten into the habit of peanut butter and jam or just plain jam sandwiches. Though I have it with the Slim slice bread. I wanted to know, how fattening is jam or the combination of peanut butter and jam. Is there a difference in sugar content of mixed fruit jams and plain jam? Also, does the sugar content of jam influence the blood sugar levels to make one feel hungrier quicker.

Thanx in advance.

Dear Diana
Fruit jam does not contain any fat. Generally speaking fruit jams contain 1115 kJ/100g and peanut butter contains 2460 kJ/100g (50g of fat). There is very little difference between the sugar contents of most commercial jams. Eating jam and slim slice bread may stimulate insulin production and thus cause a dip in blood sugar and increased hunger.