Question
Posted by: Jim | 2004/10/11

Fat Burning Supplements

Please could you advise whether it is worth taking any supplements to loose body fat. I have been told about Herbology Weight Loss and Hydroxycut. Are either of these worth while? I do exercise 5-6 days a week at gym, but would like to see results a bit sooner.

Hi Jim

Short answer is no. THe reasons are numerous, but the main reason is that the supplement market is an absolute disaster as far as control and scientific testing are concerned. Supplements can be placed on the shelves with ZERO testing and so no one can say if they work, no one can say if they have side effects, it's all very speculative. There are a few cases of supplements, particularly weight loss supplements, which contained supplements that were later found to be responsible for heart problems and even death during exercise. There may be others like this and even herbal products could be risky. Just because it is herbal does not make it safe, and so on the whole, I'm a big believer in good eating and regular exercise, and it seems that you are doing this and so it's worth persevering. i understand your frustration, but in the long term, achieving weight loss using natural means is better than using supplements because that weight stays off, whereas supplements, which can affect metabolism, may always come back later to cause hassles.