Posted by: Jonathon | 2008/10/21

Fat Burning

What exercise is best at burning fat around the stomach area. I run 3 to 4 times a week on a treadmill for about 35 to 45 mins at about 7km/h. I ve trimmed my eating habits and stop drinking and smoking for almost 2 months. I seem to be losing weight round the hips and legs and not much round the stomach. What do you recommend?

Hi Jonathan

You're doing the right TYPE of training, but perhaps the missing link is the intensity. This kind of problem is really common, everyone seems to battle in certain areas, and the key to losing that weight is that you keep with the cardio training. However, you probably need to increase the speed slightly. That is not so sipmle to do - you can't just suddenly run at 9 km/h. So my advice is to plan those 40 minutes, so that you run 3 minutes at 7km/h, and then 1 minute at maybe 9km/h, before returning to 7km/h (even 6.5km is fine for a minut of the three). That way, you are teaching your body to handle faster speeds. Eventually, you want to be aiming to run the whole thing at the faster speeds, because faster training equals more energy burned, and that means combatting body fat. But it will come, just keep at it and make this small change over the next few months.