Posted by: Nic | 2008/09/10

Fat burners

I would like to know what your take on fat burners is. I have heard some personal trainers say that it is not a good thing while others recomend it. If you think it is bad, why?

Dear Nic
I am personally not convinced that the majority of so-called fat burners make any difference to your performance. In addition they cost money and some of them contain potentially harmful compounds such as ephedra or caffeine. In some cases in the USA, sport products containing ephedra led to dehydration and in one or two cases the death of the athletes in question. Consequently these products have been banned in the USA, but they are still available in SA. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake and increase your energy output and to build lean muscle you need time, exercise and carbs.