Question
Posted by: Tia | 2004/10/06

Fat burners

I have been exercising at the gym 4 over a year now, I've lost lots of weight & need 2 tone-up, but it's so difficult 2 tone-up the flabby parts, so I've decided 2 buy fat burners or mayb protein shakes just 2 help me tone-up quicker, can u advise me on which shakes 2 buy & also give me the advantages & disadvantages thereof.........................Pls help.

HI Tia

I think that changing your training is the first thing you need to do. Fat burners are not what you need if your goal is to tone. You have already lost a good deal of fat mass, and so toning and a little more fat loss are what is required. This means that adding regular weight training to the programme is important. I am not sure what you did in your training but I would begin with a few weight sessions, but it is very important to continue your cardio, because these activities are preferential for weight loss.

These include activities such as walking, jogging, cycling, aerobics, swimming etc. It is important to exercise between 4 and 5 times a week, for a minimum of 30 to 45 minutes each session. It is also ideal to work at a moderate to hard intensity, but for a longer duration. You should aim to do these sessions at an intensity that allows you to complete the session without feeling completely exhausted, but having worked up a good sweat and feeling that your breathing and metabolic rate are elevated. A moderate intensity is certainly the way to go - if you train too easily, nothing will happen, and if you train too hard, then you soon become tired and burned out. So, aim for an intensity that will allow you to finish a session and recover by the next one. If you feel like you are carrying a whole week's worth of training in your body, then you are traininig too hard. Other than intensity, the rest is easy - you just have to go out and get those sessions in. Of course, if you are just starting out, then I would suggest starting off by training every other day, and possibly for only 20 minutes. THen you should aim to build up gradually until you reach the 30 to 45 minutes, 4 or 5 times a week mark.

It is also important to do some weight training, as this will help to speed up your metabolism, increase muscle tone, and lose weight in the right areas. If you have access to a gym, ensure that you are shown how to do each exercise correctly, to prevent injuries.

With regard to weight training, the following tips should be kept in mind:

If your aim were to tone muscle, the following guidelines will help you:
· Perform 10-15 reps but at a much lower intensity - use a weight that would allow you to lift the weight at least 25 times.
· Perform 4-6 sets
· Rest 30-60 seconds between reps
· Train each muscle group at least once or twice a week
· Allow 48 hours rest between each muscle’s workout

Finally, many supplements contain ephedrine/ephedra and these are dangerous and have been linked with deaths during exercise so should be avoided completely. Carnitine is probably safe, but I have to emphasize that there is no control of the supplement market, so you don't know what you are getting, whether it works, what it may do in terms of side effects. No one knows this because supplements are never tested because of the lack of control. It is my opinion that many supplements don't work, and training is the key to weight loss.

1
Posted by: brozz | 2004/10/06

If you are looking for something good
look at the musashi website and look for L- Carnetine.

Reply to brozz