Question
Posted by: Ester | 2004/10/06

Fat around the waist

Hallo there,

Please help me with the fat around my waist. I gym (weights) five times a week, play squash twice a week and spin 3 times a week. I have lost 4,5 kg and 5% fat and I do not have that much fat around my arms, bum and legs but I have this roll around my waist which I cannot seem to get rid of. Please give my exercises that targets that particular area.

Ester

Hi ester

First, to respond to the reply that was posted by Pot Belly, it may be worth your while to check it out. I can't say that it is insulin resistance, because remember that probably 85 % of people have this problem of feeling that they have fat around the waist, but only a small percentage of them actually have a clinical condition. However, it's worth looking into.

As for exercise, dynamic cardiovascular exercise such as walking, jogging, running, swimming or cycling. In order to burn the fat, you need to do these types of cardiovascular exercises as least 4 - 5 times a week for at least 30 - 45 minutes. This will help to increase the amount of calories that you use and help to decrease your body fat.

Having said that, it is still important to do some strengthening and toning exercise and obviously to include exercises that make use of the muscle groups in your abdominal area. The exercises that you do will depend on whether you have access to a gym or you do body weight exercises at home. I would suggest you have a look at the 'build muscle/tone' section of the Health 24 website (www.health24.co.za). You can find this section under 'Fitness', and then just click on the image that shows the areas you want to work on, and you will be able to see the exercises relevant to you.

Lastly, keep in mind that this is a very common problem, and changes in certain areas can happen very slowly, because some people do just have a specific distribution of fat, and it can be hard to fight against this.

However, be patient and keep at it!

1
Posted by: Pot Belly | 2004/10/09

I had the same problem and could not understand what is happening - went to the doctor, did some blood tests and found out that I am insulin resistant. This "problem", if not treated, causes Type 2 Diabetics - a very serious condition.

Insulin resistance uasually causes initial weight gain (especially around the mid section), high cholesterol and lots of other ugly stuff if not treated. I am not saying that you have this problem but seeing that more than 30% of people suffers from this, it might be worth your while to see your doctor.

regards

Reply to Pot Belly