Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2004/02/05

Fat around naval - what exercise to do??

Hi, FitnessDoc!

I am a 26 year old female and I am skinny. I am 1.70 metres tall and I weigh 48 kgs. I am very happy with my body, but I recently noticed that I am gaining some weight around my naval - it's almost like a circle of fat around it. I also noticed that my butt isn't as firm anymore as two years ago!!

Can you give me some advice on which exercises I can do? I don't want to join a gym, so I need some excercises that I can do at home.

Kind regards,

Sarah

HI Sarah

You really are very lightweight - your BMI works out at 16.6, and so certainly weight is not a problem as you point out. However, what you are finding now is that fat tends to gather at specific sites, and the solution to this is cardiovascular workouts - you should be walking, jogging, cycling etc. 5 days a week and for 30 to 45 minutes eachy time. This will help get rid of fat mass.

Also, because you are so light, you probably have a fairly low muscle mass, which means that doing some resistance training, and actually increasing your lean muscle mass, will help you because it reduces the appearance of fat, and it also increases your metabolic rate so you can keep the weight off.

For some exercises, Check out the following programme on the Health 24 site.

Go to "Fitness" and then click on "Shape up". Here you will find a number of different programmes, including one for walking, another for running 10 km, and a cycling one. You can choose which you prefer. These programmes contain both cardiovascular (good for weight loss) and resistance training (for toning the muscles) and so are good overall complete programmes.

1
Posted by: brozz | 2004/02/06

Hi Sarah
to get rid of the excess fat you need to do cardio work.ie: walking running cycling.
As far as the butt goes if you have a flight of stairs near you ,you could train up and down them. Simmulating a step machive in the gym.
You said you were skinny and i have workred out your body mass index as 16.6 so if you picked up a little lean muscle mass it would not harm you.

Reply to brozz