Question
Posted by: Lila | 2004/11/16

Fat and Pregnant. What should I do?

Hi Doc. I am currently 9 weeks pregnant. What concerns me is thaty I'm overweight. I have been all my life. My weight hasn't been too much of q concern for me till now. I don't wantvto ahrm my baby. Is there a diet or eating plan that I can use wjile I am pregnant?? Please help.

Dear Lila
Congratulations on your pregnancy. I would strongly urge you to consult a clinical dietitian (check the List of Dietitians on this Website or phone 082-593-0276 or send an e-mail to sscharf@nhcltd.com or look in your local telephone directory or Yellow Pages, to find a dietitian in your area), who will work out a diet that keeps your weight under control without depriving your baby. In the meanwhile, click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss' , ‘The right approach' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for an example of a low-fat, high-fibre diet. If you use this diet you must add 2 cups of fat-free milk a day to provide sufficient calcium for the two of you. Also click on 'Eating throughout life' and read the articles on 'Pregnancy'. Ask your dr or gynae what kind of exercise you could do and if you are allowed to do some exercise every day such as going for walks, as this helps with weight loss.
Enjoy your pregnancy

1
Posted by: ZOLA | 2004/11/16

i am 12weeks pregnant how can i avoid gaining weight at the moment i am weighing 68kg.

Reply to ZOLA