Question
Posted by: Jack | 2007/11/29

Fat

Dear Doc
I am following a very balanced diet, but cannot get myself to eat fat. Not in the form of mayonaise or margarine - I don't like it and stick to mainly fat free products. I eat cheese,but count it as a proteien. Please advice what i can eat in the place of the fat/day that will amount to the same amount of kJ's. The diet specifies 4 fats (1fat + 2tsp margarine/mayo). Can you also tell me what the amount of kJ's would be for 4 x fat portions,
Thanx

Dear Jack
If you can't face mayonnaise or margarine then you could either use avocado (when in season - 1/8 of an avocado is one fat portion) or plant oils (sunflower or olive oil for example). You can use the plant oils as a salad dressing with vinegar or lemon juice and herbs. 1 teaspoon of plant oil contains 185 kJ, thus 4 of these portions would amount to 740 kJ. If you are eating cheeses, which are relatively high in fat, then you only need to have 2 additional portions of fat per day.

1
Posted by: Nutty | 2007/11/29

Why not eat nuts, they contain lots of fat, and protein too of course.... If your diet prescribes a certain amount of energy (kJ) per food group/portion you must weigh your food and do the math using the nutrition table on most food stuffs you buy, like nuts for example.

Reply to Nutty