Question
Posted by: J | 2004/10/15

Fasting

I will be partaking in Ramadaan, commencing tommorrow, where we have to fast for about one month each day from sunrise to sunset.
Last year I suffered from terrible headaches during the fast, which is possibly due to dehydration.
How can I avoidd these headaches this year, because ,of course ,I will be unable to take painkillers.
Also, will taking added vitamin supplements help?

J, aren’t you even allowed to drink water? This is a bit ridiculous – you have to drink at least some water otherwise you will dehydrate and it might even cause kidney problems. How come you’re allowed to take vitamins but not water or pain killers? This doesn’t make sense at all. Maybe you should have a talk to your priest and clear it up with him, because I seriously doubt that you’re not allowed to drink water to prevent you from dehydrating. Let me know what he says as a new question and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Im fasting too!!!! | 2004/10/18

Hi J
I think also our blood sugar level drops which I think causes headaches too. Cyberdoc can confirm or not!
What you can try is taking any pain killer of your choice in the morning after having 'breakfast'. I normally take paracetemol with a bit of milk. Can't stand water sooo early in the morning, it makes me feel off the whole day!
On some days you'll find you'll have a mild headache, but I'm sure you'll cope.
Cyberdoc, we're not allowed to drink or eat from sunrise to sunset. If we do, then we're not fasting!!

J, I hope this helps you.

Reply to Im fasting too!!!!