Question
Posted by: venakit | 2008/01/09

fast weightloss approach

hi
Height=1.8
weight=110kg
goal weight=85-90kg
i am currently following the menshealth muclebuilding programme but i am not losing weight.my routine is weight training and cardio 30 min,on a daily basis ,5 days a week but no progress
1.what approach do i take for rapid fat loss only as this my goal?
2.which is better cardio or weight training for rapid fatloss?
3.if i do cardio only for 45-60min 6 days a week ,will i see a big difference compared to a combo programme?
4.what are the best cardio exercises for rapid fatloss?
5.btween cardio n weight training which 1 promotes fatburing long after the workout?

Hi Venakit

1. rapid fat loss is probably a concept you should get out of your system before you begin! I realise that may sound blunt, but the reality is that if you set "rapid" as a target, you'll be disappointed and likely to stop. As Moroko has written, you need to pace this and recognize that it will take you a long time to see progress in terms of goal weights. There is progress to be found, however, if you set yourself realistic targets. But my concern is this "rapid" weight loss, which is not the way to be aiming.

2. Cardio is better in the early phases, and my suggestion is to make about 60 to 70% of your training cardio training, like running, cycling, swimming. I suspect that to date, your failure to see weight loss is partly due to your focus on muscle building (which is fine, by the way) and perhaps diet, which is always worth considering. But I would go for a little more cardio for the next few months.

3. Not necessarily. I don't think you should go quite to this extreme, because in the longer term, the weight training has benefits. I woudl say perhaps 4 days a week of cardio for 45-60 min, and 2 days a week of combo will be adequate for now.

4. The one you enjoy the most, to be pragmatic about it. The debate about which is better really doesn't get one anywhere, because ultimately, it doesn't matter, provided you do it often enough and for long enough and at the right intensity. So be practical rather than idealistic - if you hate running and it hurts your knees, then cycle. If you find cycling boring, then try taebo, and so on. As long as it gets done and it's enjoyed, you'll be fine!

5. I'd say the best thing you can do apart from your 60 minutes of training is to eat well. That means many small meals a day, and of the right kinds of food! I would see a dietician if I were you to assist with this, because the wrong diet will easily undermine your other efforts, so consider this if you can!

3
Posted by: venakit | 2008/01/14

would having meal replacements shakes assist in fat burining?
what is a good nutrional shake to get i.e usn,weider etc...
what are the long term effects of the meal replacements?

Reply to venakit
Posted by: venakit | 2008/01/10

high
i need my questions answere please reply to each of my questions

Reply to venakit
Posted by: Moroko | 2008/01/10

hi there

Excersizing and weight loss is a journey, not a destination. because its a long journey, you need to engage in what you enjoy doing best. In that was sustainability will be ensured. Thats the golden rule. there's no such thing as fast weight loss approach. if you want to sustain it, you have to know that its a journey...

seconly watch what you are eating. 70% of the outcome depends on the food you put in and 30% of the results is based on the energy you get out through excersize etc.

All the best!

Reply to Moroko