Question
Posted by: Cynthia | 2011/05/14

Fast heart beat with low blood pressure

Please could you enlighten us on how this is possible.
My mother has been told that her heart is beating very fast but she has done all the necessary blood tests. There is no sign of colesterol issues and she has a low blood pressure.
She is due to see a cardiologist soon.

What causes a fast heart beat with a low blood pressure please.

what can be done.

Please advise.

thanks
regards
Cynthia

Expert ImageCardiologist

Hi Cynthia.

You do not mention your mothers age. A fast heart beat is often a case of the heart simply responding appropriately to something outside the heart eg anaemia, anxiety, exercise, fever etc - in other words the heart is just doing what the body is telling it to do.

A high heart rate is also not necessarily related to blood pressure. Sometimes the heart is fast and blood pressure low because the heart is weak, but then usually there are other tell-tale symptoms which you do not mention. Is it possible your mother's high heart rate is simply due to anxiety?

For peace of mind please see the cardiologist, who I am sure will do and ECG and echocardiogram and should then be able to answer your questions. What he recommends in the way of treatment will obviously depend on the cause of the fast heart beat.

2
Posted by: Amanda | 2011/07/31

I was atmited to hosp with a heartrate of 160 a month ago and the ecg showed that the left argery is enlaged the dr said that it was becoz of rematicfever when i was 4 im 35 now what can b done for me regarding this thank u in advance amanda

Reply to Amanda
Posted by: Cardiologist | 2011/05/20

Hi Cynthia.

Reply to Cardiologist