Question
Posted by: Karen | 2007/08/09

fast heart beat of 9yr old

My 9 year old got over the flu about 4 weeks ago and suddenly a few days ago started with the croup sounding cough at night, he is coughing badly and I am now gave him 10ml of linctopent and a tablet called merck-fed as prescribed by a pharmacist, he had a temp of 37.5 this evening, just rinsed him off with tepid cloth. He fell asleep but has such a fast heart beat. While he is sleeping I timed it at 124 beats per minute. Is this excessive ? what is normal for his age. Just a worried mom !

Dear Karen
The fast heartbeat could be due to the medication he is taking or due to the fever. Normal heart rate is up to 90 beats per minute.