Posted by: Alan | 2009/06/29

Family support

Is there any financial help available in South Africa to a family who are trying to support a drug-addicted family member?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageArchive

Hi Alan

The best option would be to obtain assistance for the addicted family member. You need to approach a social worker who has assess your family member and compile a report for subsidised treatment at a private facility - or to take out a court order - a social worker needs to do this (Act 20 of 1992 - Prevention and Treatment of Drug Dependency Act) for either voluntary or involuntary admission under the Act to a state rehabilitation centre (the normal treatment period in a state facility is 3 months - but the person still resides under the Act for 2 years after the leave the centre - which a social worker needs to monitor). You can also contact you nearest SANCA branch for guidance on the above-mentioned.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.