Question
Posted by: Wondering if??? | 2005/01/10

Family Planning

Hi Doc,

My nurse at the clinic were I get my birth control pills said if you don't get your period you can't fall pregnant is this true. Also apparently according to her there is only 2 days in a month that your likely to fall pregnant is this also true and how do you work out what 2 days that is.

If you miss a period on the Pill, you must test for pregnancy.
Ovulation usually occurs on Day 14 if you have a 28 day cycle and the egg survives for about 2 days. However, all women do not ovulate at the expected time so this is not a reliable method of contraception.

1
Posted by: Pokkel | 2005/01/10

If you don't get your periods, and you are not on a contraceptive, then you can definitely fall pregnant. Your period is a result of the uterus membrane thickening to prepare for possible conception. If conception does not happen the uterus membrane thickening part is released by your body with a period.
Having a period is no indication that you do ovulate.
Having no period is no indication that you did not ovulate. You can still ovulate which means you can fall pregnant.

I hope i am not confusing you.

Your fertile period of the month is around 14 days before your next period. You can fall pregnant any day from day 10 to day 16.

Reply to Pokkel