Question
Posted by: Shazz | 2004/11/09

Family difficulties

I have got a problem, my brother has got ADD. When he takes his tablets, he is fine and a lovely person to live with but most of the time he doesnt take the full dose and nothing my family do or say persuades him to take them. When he is off them he is a terrible person to live with. He canl handle any stress and he is basically impossible to live with. He makes our lives miserable. Is there anything we can do? He is 28.

This can be an awfully difficult situation, The tablets, if he will take them, can help a lot, as you know, and will help even if he doesn't care much about them. Counselling could also help, but can't work unless he accepts that he needs it and needs to work sincerely within it. If he is living with the family, and to some extent dependent on the family, couldn't someone or the family group put their foot down and require that he take the tablets if he wants to stay at home and receive their support ?
Shaun's idea might help, though it's hard to guess without knowing him well, how he would respond, even in a good spell, to seeing how he is when in one of his bad moods --- it could possibly help to convince him that there IS something wrong and that he DOES need help. Doesn't he have a GP or other doctor who made the diagnosis and prescribes the meds ?

4
Posted by: Shazz | 2004/11/10

We took him to a shrink who diagnosed him and put him onto the medication.

Reply to Shazz
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/10

Hi Shazz,

Thanx for the response, & I'm sure you know I wouldn't have to tell you how important counselling is here.
Never-the-less, maybe you should try realise that nobody can help him until he wants it himself. At the same time, can I suggest that you guys maybe, if it is to such a stage that he is becoming uncontrollable or possibly violent, that just maybe you can record his behaviour on video & very calmly, when he is in one of his better moods, show it to him.

I have no idea what CS's response to that suggestion maybe, as I seem to think it's quite unorthodox, & feel guilty just mentioning it. So please take this suggestion under CS's advice.

Another question, if you please: How did you guys get to his diagnosis & medication without a counsellor, or GP?

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Shazz | 2004/11/10

He is not going to any counselling sessions. Wouldnt even think of going to them. He refuses to admit that he has got a problem

Reply to Shazz
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/11/10

Hi Shazz,

Question: Is he only taking his meds, or is he also attending regular counselling sessions?

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun