Question
Posted by: jino | 2003/03/14

Family diet 2 children aged 6 and 4

I need to know whether our son (6yrs), height 111,5cm and daughter (4yrs) 110,5cm, both weighing 16kgs, is following a diet sufficient to their needs. They are both underweight but paediatrician says they're fine. Both are allergic to cows milk and drink soya milk but can tolerate yoghurt and cheese.

Monday:
Breakfast: Pronutro, milk and prunes
Snack: Oats crunchie (home-made), dried apricots, Diluted litchi juice
Lunch: French toast, cucumber, tomato
Snack: biscuits, sweets,water
Supper: Mince curry, Brown rice, Pumpkin, green salad. Stewed apple and raisins

Tuesday
Brkf: Cornflakes, peach
Sn: Yoghurt, fruit stick, crackers
Lunch:Peanut butter and brown bread, diluted apple juice
sn: Apple, marshmallows, water
Supper:Chicken, carrots, peas, squash,baby potatoes
Sn: Jungle Oats with syrup

Wednesday
Brkf:Weetbix, orange juice
Sn: Marie and Cheese, paw paw, almonds
Lunch: Fish fingers and oven chips, tomato sauce
Sn: Raisins, cracker and sweets, water
Supper: Haddock and stir fry veg in olive oil (cabbage,gr beans, mange tout, brocolli,carrots)
Snack: Oats biscuits and flavoured soya

Parents are on the weigh-less programme and the whole family eats together in the evening and we don't cook seperately. Will my son grow taller in the next year, my daughter is very tall for her age.

Jino

Dear Jino
The diet you are providing for your family sounds fine to me. I trust that the children do still drink 2-3 cups of the soya milk in addition to the above mentioned foods? If not, then please try giving them the soya milk that you can buy in the supermarket, like So Fresh - look in the section for long-life milk. They need the calcium and extra protein drinking soya milk will provide. If the children are otherwise healthy, I would not worry about their weight. Your son will start growing taller, but his ultimate length will also depend on genetic factors. If one of his ancestors was relatively short, then he may not grow very tall. Boys tend to grow rapidly from the onset of puberty and their height during childhood is not necessarily an indication of their adult height. Conversely your daughter may take after a tall ancestor and reach a greater height in adulthood. According to the USA National Academy of Sciences, the average height for children aged 4-6 is 112 cm and the average weight is 20 kg, so your two children are both still within the normal limits for height and their weight may increase if you give them additional soya milk and increase their intake of poly- or monounsaturated fats and oils (e.g. polyunsaturated margarine and some salad dressing, etc).