Posted by: Iris | 2009/02/13

Fallopian tube patency

Hi Doc

Could you please explain to me how one goes about getting checked for fallopian tube patency and what it is?

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageFertility expert

Dear Iris

The most highly recommended evaluation is that done via laparoscopy. The other alternative is through an X-ray called an HSG (histosalpingogram) and a 3rd option is via ultrasound perturbation. Unfortunately the laparoscopy involves a general anaesthetic and is done in an operating theatre but is certainly the most accurate reflection of the fallopian tubes status. For patients unable to afford this, the other alternatives are suitable and in my opinion the X-ray (HSG) is far more reliable than the ultrasound method.

Answered by: Dr M. I. Cassim

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Dee | 2009/02/16

Its called an HSG - hysterospingogram. Your gynae or FS will do it for you. Its an X-ray where they check dye going thru your tubes.

Reply to Dee

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.