Question
Posted by: Lisa | 2004/10/25

Falling pregnant at 39?

I am 37 in December this year, and although we are planning to get married around the end of 2005, I don't really want to jump into starting a family immediately. I think I'll be around 39 when we will. I am quite healthy, don't smoke or drink - but what sound advice can I get re. falling pregnant at that late age and what to expect? Thank you!

The main problem at your age is that there is a higher chance of having a baby with Down syndrome (about 1 in 100). This can be tested for with amniocentesis. Fertility does also decrease with age.

2
Posted by: Lavender | 2004/10/26

Hi Lisa

I am also 37 and got married a year ago. Have been trying ever since to fall pregnant. I am seeing a very good fertility specialist, but still struggling. It does take longer when you are older and there are the possibility that I might never fall pregnant. Don't wait. Rather start early.

Reply to Lavender
Posted by: Liz | 2004/10/25

As long as you don't feel you would have missed half your life, if you never have children, it would be okay to wait another 2 years. At 39, it can take a long time to fall pregnant, and if you experience fertility problems, the chances are that you may just have waited tooooo long.

Reply to Liz