Question
Posted by: want to be a mommy | 2004/01/19

Falling pregnant

We want to start a family, but I have some concerns. I have a history of depression -will this be heridetary? I am on an anti depressant, how will this effect the child? What supplements can I take from the beginning to ensure optimum health?

Depression can be heriditary. This does not mean that your child will have it, but there is a higher than normal risk. If you are on Prozac, this will not affect the child, though a slightly higher miscarriage rate has been found in some studies. It would be a good idea to take folate tablets while you are planning a pregnancy.

1
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/20

I think that depression is hereditary. My mother had it and both me and my brother suffered from depression. I made a choice to let go from depression, now I'm much better! You should try it! Anyway, you should speak to your doctor about what pills are best to drink and what are best to leave in the cupboard.

Good luck!

Reply to ciska