Question
Posted by: Craig | 2006/07/14

Falling

Sometimes when I'm about to fall asleep my mind and body suddenly goes into a spiral (the same feeling of spinning or falling) then I have to shake my body to "get out of it". What do you think is causing this?

Actually this sensation of "falling" just as one is gliding into sleep, is very common. I've wondered whether it's why we use the odd expresssion of "falling asleep". Generally it seems to be that as one's system drifts into sleep, sometimes the part of one's brain that controls muscle tension, relaxes it BEFORE one is asleep, and one notices this, feels as if one is falling, and jerks awake again.

1
Posted by: Liza | 2006/07/15

I think that more info is needed here. Are you on any medication? I sometimes have the same feeling - except that its right before I awaken. Freaky is all I can call it. To be honest - since I started on my current meds, it hasn't happened again. Not that I'm saying you need meds. I just think that its a dream response - something my meds inhibit.

Reply to Liza