Question
Posted by: J | 2007/04/03

Fainting during blood donation

Hello

I am a male aged 21 and recently I was donating blood after a breakfast containing cereals and milk. During the blood drain, I was feeling dizzy and fell off the chair i was seated on and was unconcious for about 3 minutes. Water came out from my mouth and nose. Then, I regained my consciousness and was feeling weak.

What could have happened and why?
Am I able to donate again without such an incidence?

Thanking you in advance.

J

Dear J
Your bloodpressure probably just dropped too quickly. You can donate - just do it lying down instead of sitting and don't get up straight away after donating - don't donate too often - your body needs at least 2 months to replace the volume of blood cells you lost.

2
Posted by: CD again | 2007/04/04

Dear J
Yes it could be that you were not used to have your bloodpressure drop so quickly - no harm done anyway.

Reply to CD again
Posted by: J | 2007/04/04

Thank you for your quick response.

However my blood pressure was 121/80 before the blood drain, could this be the major reason for the faint.

Also it was my first time to donate blood.

Thank you.

J

Reply to J