Question
Posted by: Thembie | 2007/12/05

Failed pregnancy

I did a pregnancy test came back as positive. The test said I was about 7 weeks pregnant. I went to see my Gynae for further tests and to see if I was fine mommy and baby. The doctor could not pick up a heart beat and there was no baby in the womb.

What is happening I'm freaked out. A close family friend who is a doctor said I should not worry. My doctor said I should come come in after a week for a further scan if there was still nothing that meant its a failed pregnancy and he has to clean me up.

Could this be true?

What your doctor said could be true, but it may also be that the pregnancy is earlier than you think. See what the scan shows is a week's time. You can also measure HCG levels to see if they are increasing.

2
Posted by: Marlize | 2007/12/05

HI there

This is possible , as they can only pick up an heartbeat at 8 weeks onwards they normally tell you to come back at 8/9 weeks !
I had the same experience , found out at 6 weeks that I am pregnant and when I got to the gynie they said that the sac looks empty they told me to come back at 8 weeks . When I went back the gynie he informed me that the sac was empty so I had to get a D & C.

It is quite upsetting and not a nice feeling having to sit around and wait !!
All the best and will think of you !!

Reply to Marlize
Posted by: gina | 2007/12/05

I am really sorry to hear about your bad news and it does happen more often than you think, this means that something was not right it was abnormal so in a good light it was just not meant to be and i know this is not what you want to hear, your doc is gowing to see you to see if there was any progress maby you did ovulate later and you are not that far along, they usally check that that way so they can be sure before they do a clean up,

i hope all gows well good luck

Reply to gina