Posted by: JAY | 2008/10/09

Recently on my 3rd IVF with ICSI and Blastocyst - ACcording to FS good embryos, except concerns from embryolgist that inner mass less than normal, but implantation failed. I was on progesterone injections after transfer, had metformin + 1 ecotrin daily. On my test the nurse told me it was negative, expect period. When I saw doc he told he I was pregnant as bloods was 6 and normal is 3 and progesterone was high. He said it was a chemical abortion. What does that mean. What should the blood count be. Also I had drank cranberry juice, will this have caused anything. We going for further tests hubby for chromosome but at least if I know something we done and not our bodies will give us hope. We desperate

Dear Jay

A chemical pregnancy simple means that there was possibly some early implantation however, this implantation was not normal and because the Beta hCG did not rise further this pregnancy would not have continued and therefore termed a chemical pregnancy. If however a proper implantation and if a pregnancy ensues normally the count on day 12 after transfer is usually higher than 6 for a single pregnancy it may be around 50-100. Drinking cranberry juice would usually not have caused any harm. With recurrent IVF failure and the possibility of inner cell mass abnormalities you may benefit from pre-genetic screening of the embryos before transfer.

Answered by: Dr. Y. Dasoo