Posted by: Jay | 2007/07/13

Facial pores

Hi all Im a male of 21 that has had relatively oily skin my whole teen life with acne breakouts. I am using roaccutane for the breakouts which is helping. My problem is that my skin on my face is not smooth, I have larger pores than most guys and it makes my skin look older. I dont know if its a hereditary thing or if its from the acne whick wasnt that bad. My cheeks and stuff have small holes in them with I assume are pores. Is there anything I can do to diminish them or smooth the skin out. Thank you for your help

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hello Jay, thank you for the question and sorry for the long delay in the answer to your question, but I have just come back from working in my London clinic.
I am not sure if the ‘holes’ you describe are pores or acne scaring. The Roaccutane you are using should over time help for the larger pores, but one could also try glycolic acid peels (once 6 months have passed from your last Roaccutane tablet) and the topical NeoStrata Clear Skin Solution. If the ‘holes’ are acne scaring then the problem becomes more difficult to correct. Mild and medium size scarring can respond well to glycolic acid peels or deeper peels such as Jessner peels, but ultimately one may need (especially with deeper acne scarring) to consider laser or needling to resolve the problem.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.