Question
Posted by: Cheryl | 2008/07/10

Face Lift Procedures

What procedure would help to reduce skin that is starting to sag around the jaw area. I suppose you could say that it is the beginning of jowls. Secondly, regarding fillers. I have heard that a product called Bioalkamid is very effective.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Cheryl, thank you for the question.

BIO-ALCAMID® is a synthetic biopolymer comprising 97% apyrogenic water and 3% polyalkylimide, recommended for deep dermal correction. The microspheres are not biodegradable and the effect obtained will correspond to that actually seen immediately after the substance is injected. Typically the microspheres that are injected cause collagen to be stimulated as well. As this is synthetic filler and the body is unable to degrade the particles once injected I am personally a little hesitant to recommend its use. Side effects and complications if they develop become extremely difficult to treat and may ultimately require surgery.

There are a number of options available for treating the jowl area:
Surgery (Thread Lifts or full face lift): if the ‘jowling’ is severe this is ones best option.
Skin Tightening (ST) technologies (expect between 20 to 30% improvements): Syneron Refirme, Thermage, Titan, etc.

If you add skin rejuvenation to the ST procedures further improvements may be expected: Syneron elight or emax, Fraxel, Ellipse, etc.

If there is fat loss (cheek and lower corners of the mouth) then one should add filler to these areas to improve the overall results.

All of the above can be researched on my web page with more in depth definitions and expectant results: www.aestheticfacialenahncement.co.za