Question
Posted by: Red faced | 2004/01/15

Face gets red whenever I drink

I am an Indian male, aged 26. Whenever I drink alcohol my face always gets extremely red after a while. I am quite light skinned so it is particularly noticeable. Is there anything I can do to lessen this embarrasing effect. I only drink socially, but try and avoid it wherever possible due to this unpleasant effect. Would also like to know if this is indicative of any health problems, or do I have some kind of allergy to alcohol. I have been drinking since I was about 17 and my general health is good.

RF, I doubt that it is a true allergy, but it does sound like you are very sensitive to the vasodilating effects of alcohol. The best would be to avoid all alcohol and to treat it asif you were allergic to it.