Question
Posted by: Momof3 | 2007/07/24

Eyes and diet

Dear dietdoc

I am an overweight 47yrs old female,with 3 teenagers.i have been struggling with my eye site of late.I have been at the PC alot during past 5months helping on a Crime site ,eblockwatch dot co dot za and find i spend many hrs here. i dont know if its my diet or the PC that is causing this.

I dont wear glasses ,yet but find when I look down and read something at say 30cm distance its fine but cant see the menu on the TV when i look up. I give my eyes time to a just but does not get much better.

I was tested a while ago for diabetes and Dr sent me for fasting test and it was not high but he said I could get there if I dont watch my weight (about 2yrs now).

I do sit a great deal now since I had knee replacements in 2005 (dew to separate falls ) one when 28 yr old ,down stairs and one 4yrs ago on wet kitchen floor.

i am sometimes busy in the morning and eat later(much later than I used to.)I always used to eat breakfast,lunch and supper but not lately.i just have a light snack ,yoghurt's ,fruit say 11am then fetch kids and have lunch with them as always.maybe whole wheat with cheese,tomato and whole meat palony,or chicken mayonnaise(trim) on ,sometimes. I have a big stomach -stretched from the 3 pregnancies so would like to get rid of that too.

Could this be it or just a sign of getting older and needing glasses or am I becoming diabetic?

Dear Momof3
You say that you are now 47 which is the age when most people start developing problems with reading at close range. I do not think that this is a sign of diabetes and would suggest that you have your eyes tested at your local optician. Working at the computer for hours will also add to the eye strain - discuss this with the optician. If you need to address your weight to prevent potential problems like diabetes, etc, then I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will assess your present diet and make recommendations regarding weight loss (for example a low-fat, low-GI diet may be advantageous for you). Seeing that you have had two knee replacements I can understand that you are probably not able to do standard exercise, but you could investigate using swimming (an excellent aerobic exercise) to increase your energy expenditure (see if there is a heated pool ner you where you could work out every day for 30 -60 min). Overall weight loss will also reduce your tummy, but you can ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of home exercises that target the tummy (like situps), but mention the 2 knee ops when you post this request.

2
Posted by: Momof3 | 2007/07/28

hey-I suppose so.that is his fetish.that is what he gets off on.

Reply to Momof3
Posted by: hey | 2007/07/25

momof3 - i read your posting about some guys fetish in 2003 - shocking indeed! does he still do all that?

Reply to hey