Question
Posted by: Theresa | 2007/04/11

Eye pain and skin prickliness

I'm a 41yr old female in general good health. Last night I got a sudden intense pain in my left eye. So intense in fact that it left me breathless. This is not the first time it has happened. It lasts for about 3-5 seconds. Afterwards my eye feels strange for a while. Today as i write this my eye feels slightly scratchy but not sore.
For the last 2 weeks or so I have a prickly feeling on my arms, almost like a fly or ants crawling on me. But there is nothing. Should I be concerned?

Dear Theresa
Yes, I think you should at least get an eye examination by an optometrist or your GP - he can refer you to a (more expensive) opthalmologist if needed. This could also be a kind of headache called an icepick headache ( see http://headaches.about.com/od/otherheadpain/a/ice_picks.htm) and then it maybe useful to see a neurologist - the feeling on the arms could also point to a nerve irritation.