Posted by: Joe | 2008/10/06

Eye Laser Treatment

Hi Doc.
What does eye laser treatment cost?
I am short sighted and would love to have this procedure done.
I heard that its a small procedure and can be done in Dr.' s rooms?
Would you advise this and is it a safe procedure?

Dear Joe
It can only be done by an opthalmologist ( eye surgeon) and is a day procedure but in a hospital with the specialized machines. It is safe - with some risks which they will explain to you in detail. Whether it is advisable will depend on what they find with the examination of your eyes - inot all patients are candidates for this kind of operation.
Cost would depend on the doctor, the hospital and the kind of procedure you need but my guess is about R15 000 - 20 000. Contact the Pretoria Eye institute for a quote?