Question
Posted by: Liesl24 | 2007/06/14

extremely low sperm count, what now

Hi Doc,

I hope you can help me with some advice.... My husband and I have been trying to fall pregnant for over a year and yesterday my gynae sent my husband for a sperm test. Well, the results came back and his sperm count is only 0.1 million per ml. After doing some research I realise that that is extremely low.
We have made an appointment to see a urologist next week, but according to my gynae, we have a 85-90% possibility of falling pregnant "with medical treatment".

I know I should probably wait to see the urologist for him to do a complete evaluation, but can you ease my mind? Are the chances of falling pregnant really that high? Will it be a case of going for ICSI immediately or will we have to go through a process of elimination, that may just take up valuable time (I've been doing some research and only know enough to be dangerous!). I'm just scared that the urulogist will prescribe vitamins and supplements and then 12 months later we have to do IVF or ICSI in any case.

PS: I'm 32 and my husband is 35 - he is an ex-smoker, does a lot of cycling, has used recreational drugs before and he has a few beers over a weekend. Don't know if changing the above would improve his sperm count.

Dear Liesel24

The issue of sperm count perse is only a small part of the bigger picture. I would like to see some information on sperm morphology and should the morphology also be extremely low then this would be an indication to move directly to IVF/ ICSI. However the appointment with the urologist is important since conditions such as varicoceles may be amenable to surgical correction with good results.

4
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/19

Thx Liesl24,
I guess I read alot more than I should on the subject of infertility. Please let me know what the urologist says, I would be interested to know.
Best of luck to you too.

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Liesl24 | 2007/06/18

Hi Dee,

I have been reading some of your posts on this website and found them very helpful. Thanks for the info and advice, it is much appreciated. I'll let you know what our progress is. Good luck to you too!

Reply to Liesl24
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/18

Oh, one other thing - sperm regenerates itself every 75 days so anything that you have done in the past will not have any affect today, dont stress my hubby has also done his fair share of partying!

Maybe you should ask the urologist about cycling, I know that isnt too good for the spermies!

Reply to Dee
Posted by: Dee | 2007/06/18

Hi there sweety,
I know all about the shock of getting these types of results! Its a terrible feeling and please believe me that I know what you are going thru.

My hubby also has a low sperm count, but "luckily" he was diagnosed with a varicocele at the urologists so we could have an operation to have that fixed. We are still waiting the 4 months to see if it has helped any.

Unfortunatley if no "physical" problem is found like a varicocele then I have been told that it is a "genetic" problem that the sperm count is so low.

I would suggest getting ur hubby onto Staminogro, 4x per day and Vit E and Vit C at least 1000mg or even more.

the "good" news is that you will be fast-tracked to IVF - which is maybe not the best news but think of it this way - you will be fast-tracked to IVF, you dont have to go thru all the timed cycles with an FS or any IUI's which only have a 20% success rate but with IVF the success rate is alot higher, around 40%!! Thats good news!!

You can also be greatful that your hubby has sperm AT ALL. SOme men dont have any sperm, you at least have somethng to work with, plenty in fact you only need 1 sperm to make a baby and you have 100 000 times that!!!

Best of luck, and pls keep us updated!

Reply to Dee