Question
Posted by: NewMom | 2005/07/29

Extremely Heavy Period

Is this normal - I had my son by csection in March. I breastfed for 6 weeks before switching to formula and had my first "bleed" at the end of May approx 8 weeks later it was so light it was hardly there. My 2nd bleed was the beginning of July and it was so heavy but it lasted a couple of days and was then over. I am just having my third bleed now and im worried - it is extremely heavy - i mean a heavy duty lil-let only lasts me 1 hour and i soak through.Its running like a tap not the normal treacle discharge i am used to. Also the cramping has been quite heavy i felt like my whole womb was going to fall out yesterday. Does this mean all my periods in future will be like this or is something i should be concerned about?? This is day 4 of my period today. Is there any anemia danger from me losing so much blood?

It may just be your body readjusting and does not mean that all your periods will be like this. You are at risk for anaemia from a heavy bleed. Perhaps you could take iron tablets for a while.

2
Posted by: Nelly | 2005/07/29

How come are you not using contraception? Your period would be much lighter if you were on the Pill or the contraceptive injection! What you are describing is common in women who are not using hormonal contraception.

Reply to Nelly
Posted by: Moi | 2005/07/29

that doensnt sound normal. i think you should phone your gynae and check with him/her.

Reply to Moi