Question
Posted by: Lin | 2007/05/09

Extreme temper

I'm not myself at all since I fell pregnant. I blow up at the slightest thing. My poor hubby's mostly the "target". But anyone that slightly upsets me gets it. Only my baby is safe from the anger. I'm not like that at all, I dont used to get upset so quickly... Normally I could just forget. You know: live and let live. But not anymore. It's as if I lose controll. When I'm finished with the tantrum I feel terrible. Embarressed and sorry. I do appoligise, but after 2 years I cant keep going on like this. I get depressed as well. I think of ways to commit suicide. I've planned it a few times but I dont want my child to grow up without a mommy. Things are looking rather bad from where I am at this moment. Please help me! What can I do?

Its remarkable, isn't it, what the raging hormones of pregnancy can do to one emotionally ? The anger is something you can learn to control, and indeed, also the depression, and if the child is still breast-feeding, so that one might be cautious about antidepressants, CBT counselling would be a great idea for both types of problem. There could be an element of PND ( Post-Natal Depression ) as well, which can include irritability as part of itself. DO see a good local shrink asap for a proper assessment and to start treatment so as to move on to smoother, happier times, as you, the baby, and your husband, all deserve