Question
Posted by: Lee | 2005/01/10

Extreme allergies!!!

My female Jack Russell terrier has extreme allergies. She is one and a half years old and has been spayed.

She is constantly bitting her feet, chest and legs. She also bites and licks her vagina, which is swollen. She always has a rash on her chest and on the insides of her legs.

We have tried cortisone pills, antibiotics, prenine ointment, allergex, pills, different kinds of foods - all to no avail. Her every waking moment is spent scratching or biting herself.

Our vet has suggested a process whereby her blood is drawn and it is then sent overseas (don't know where) to be analized. They then prepare a kit of injection whereby she must be injected every day for (I think) six months. Has anyone heard of this procedure? We are willing to do anything as long as it help! Any advice is very welcome.

Regards,

Lee

My best advice at this stage is to request your vet to refer you to specialist that deal with skin problem it sounds like you have gone through a number of very significant treatments. These treatments must be evaluated and the next carefully planned, together with a thorough investigation into the cause of the itch.

The desensitisation procedure you talk about works for some animals only, and depends on their particular allergy.

Dr Malan van Zyl
Veterinary Specialist Physician
Cape Town

3
Posted by: Chill | 2005/01/14

Thanks for the compliment.

I did look at this query but decided not to reply because I don't know anything about the overseas blood tests/treatment which you refer to.

I do know that Onderstepoort makes a vaccine from a dog's own cells, in certain cases, but I'm not actually too sure under what circumstances exaclty this is called for.

Personally if this was my dog, I think I'd try to get a referral to a veterinary dermatologist - ie, a specialist, to see what their diagnosis would be. Your vet should know if there are any where you live - if you're in or near Cape Town, then contact the Cape Animal Medical Clinic in Rosmead Ave (this is where the Cybervet practices) - they are absolutely brilliant. Failing that, see if Onderstepoort can give you the name of someone near where you are.

Good luck with your pooch!

Reply to Chill
Posted by: TC | 2005/01/13

I have a Boerboel cross something which also used to bite & scratch constantly. He also used to smell and had 'bald' pathces with what looked almost like scabs. We - as a last resort - spoke to a chemist who advised us to mix in some 'swael' (sorry don't know the english term) which is readilly available at any chemist in powder form (yellow). with any kind of aqueous cream and apply to the skin. We did this and after a few weeks his skin seemed to be improving and the itchyness seemed to go away as he stopped chewing at himself. He hasn't had the symptoms since and we've stopped applying this 'ointment' for more than a year now.

Reply to TC
Posted by: Angellove | 2005/01/10

The process where the blood is sent overseas is the last resort. It is also expensive, but if you've tried everything else, you'll need to do this. She will be injected with different kinds of allergens to see whether she responds to a certain kind. It can be anything from the grass to the kind og washing detergant you use. Try this and good luck!

Reply to Angellove