Question
Posted by: Carry | 2009/02/24

Extra vertebrae

I am currently 13 weeks pregnant and recently I' ve been experiencing severe lower back pain. A few years ago I found out that I was born with an extra vertebrae. I am worried now that this ' condition'  could affect the pregnancy. Could this lead to any problems? Will I be able to give normal birth?

It will not affect the pregnancy though you may have more backache than other women. If the extra vertebrae are low down near the pelvis, you may need X-rays to check the size and shape of your pelvis to see whether you can give birth normally.