Question
Posted by: M | 2004/10/20

Extra baggage

I am VERY overweight, but after a long battle with the bulge have decided to finally work off the excess kilos. At present, I've lost 5 kg's. I need to lose about 30kg's more and I'll be at my goal weight. I had a baby two years ago and lost 23 kg's when I was breastfeeding (all of which I gained again). When I lost this weight, I couldn't decide whether I looked better fat. I have very fair and tough skin, so I see no light at the end of the tunnel for my stretch marks. Also, what about all the excess skin hanging around everywhere. It's revolting. I'm working so hard to get that bikini beautiful body, but it still looks hideous. What can I do? Where do I go? How much will it cost?

I've seen the amazing things they do on Extreme Makeover - surely this is also possible in real life!!!

Please help.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear M,

Yes, it is possible, but you cannot do it on your own - you have to combine the services of a very good nutritionist, a personal trainer and somehow who can help you to cope mentally and psychologically with the process you are going for. It would be totally wasted to have any plastic surgery after excessive weight loss if you were going to gain this weight again. Certainly, a lot can be done with cosmetic surgery - as a matter of fact, I do not consider this kind of surgery cosmetic at all. I believe it should be called reconstructive surgery. I have recently operated a patient who lost 35kg of weight, and removed over 11 kgs of excess skin during a major lipectomy procedure. The skin of her stomach hung midway between her pubic area and her knees. Today she is a beautiful, vibrant person, happy with who she is, and extremely successful. Please get help, and do this as a holistic approach.