Question
Posted by: Format | 2007/05/20

Extensive bone marrow oedema

Hi I was just dignosed with "Extensive bone marrow oedema in the right femoral head, neck and interrochanteric region", that is compatible with tranient osteoporosis. Can you tell me more about this problem I have and is it curable with medicine or surgical procedure
Thanks>

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Format
I assume that an MRI was done? If so, this is not a recognised way of diagnosing osteoporosis and a bone density measurement by means of a DEXA machine should be done to confirm osteoporosis.
Osteoporosis is definitely treatable and every medication available to treat this, is in fact available in South Africa.
Unfortunately I know too little about you and why an MRI was done to give sufficient advice. MRI's "see" oedema in many places and many times it does not really mean anything.
If you are worried about osteoporosis and have risk factors or low trauma fractures, your doctor should refer you to have a bone density measurement done. You can also contact me at the osteoporosis Foundation on 021 931 7894 if you want more information on osteoporosis.