Question
Posted by: Whitney | 2006/07/26

Explanation needed

Dear Fertility Expert

I am not sure if I had a miscarriage or not and am hoping that you could shed some light.

I am trying to conceive for some years now. I have been on numerous treatments including 5 X IUI and 3 X IVF during this time.

For the last 4 months I have re-started treatment, but trying natural conception. For the last 2 months, my cycle was regular 28 days (was irregular before treatment) and generally experienced PMS symptoms and pain after perio started.

However, this cycle I also appeared to have ovukated D14/D15 (pelvic pain, mucous discharge and sharp rise in temp on D15. Had intercourse on D12/14/16.
Except for the breast tenderness (from D22 onwards), I had no other PMS symptoms (bloating, moodiness etc) and my temp wa steady around 36.7-36.8. On D29, there was no period. Was afraid to test for pregnancy to avoid disapointment and opted to wait for a couple of days.

However, on D30, i had a sudden severe cramp (different to period pain), bled for abot 3 hours then it stopped for about 3/4 day.
Then suddenly bled heavily (from D31) for 2 days (with some clots), whereafter it tapered off. During the 3 days after start of priod, my temp remained high 36.7 (and did not drop as in the past).

I was wondering if this was a possible miscarriage or a period. I am uncertain as I did not do any test on D29 or D30 (which was already 2 days after expected period)

My temp has dropped today to 36.4.(D4)

Thanks in advance

Ps: The experience felt similar to a confirmed early miscarriage after ICSI treatment 2 years ago

Dear Whitney

The symptoms that you report are fairly suggestive of some form of implantation process having occurred and may well be a sign of a very early pregnancy having failed (a miscarriage). However, some of the symptoms such as breast tenderness, bloating, moodiness as well as even temperature changes are note reliable signs of either ovulation having occurred or pregnancy. These symptoms are extremely subjective due to the fact that they are hormonally based and in a situation of hormone imbalance especially where previous history indicates irregular cycles, these symptoms would be very unreliable. Hence, the only reliable sign in this case or suggestive sign for a pregnancy would be the dysfunctional bleeding and the sudden pain that you experienced. In future I would advise you to do a pregnancy test, so if necessary, treatment can be instituted timeously such as progesterone supplementation as well as perhaps low dose cortisone therapy as well to avoid miscarriage.