Question
Posted by: Anel | 2004/01/29

Expiry dates

Do expiry dates only apply while a bottle is sealed? The reason I ask is that I bought a bottle of immune systen supplements (capsule form, containing plant sterols and grapeseed extract) in March 2003, and took them for a few weeks.
i still have the container and the packet of silica (or whatever it is that absorbs moisture) is still inside. The expiry date is May 2005.
Can I still use them or would I be better off throwing them out? And would this apply to any medication such as aspirin or paracetamol as well?

Anel, the expiry date applies to a properly stored bottle of pills (opened or not). Pills that are affected by exposure to air/humidity/sunlight/etc. will be sealed in foil or in a dark bottle. As a rule of thumb, this applies to al pills and capsules. Good luck.
PS, I’m sorry I took so long to answer your question, but all the answers posted in reply to questions posted on the 29th somehow got lost in Cyberspace. Here it is again.