Question
Posted by: TANIA | 2007/11/28

EXPENSIVE GOING TO VETS

I need to know the following please: My parents adopted a male cat a year ago. Both my parents are on pension and have regular medical bills themselves. What happens if their cat becomes sick, or needs medical attention? Vets are extremely expensive, do not provide accounts and my parents don't believe in credit cards. The vet expects immediate settlement of service provided. How can they afford it? Can they take him to the SPCA for medical treatment? How much do they charge in general if they do help the elderly? Or does it mean that old people won't have the pleasure or means to nurture an animal? They love that darn cat so much, he even sleeps between them. My cat had to have an absess drained a few years ago. They had to give him anaethesia to do the job. It costed me almost a thousand rand, and that included him spending the night. How can elder people afford such extreme costs. Please help? I appreciate all.

Call the SPCA and ask them how much it will cost. There are other animal charities that can help as well.

4
Posted by: Karmen | 2007/11/29

Tygerber Animal Hospital in Bellville allow accounts. They might have special rates for pensioners. www . tah . co . za

1 Kontiki Street
Glen Ive
Bellville
7530

Tel: +27 (0) 21 919 1191
Fax: +27 (0) 21 919 1193

Reply to Karmen
Posted by: TANIA | 2007/11/29

Hallo, my parents live in Paarl, Western Cape. Thanks for being interested.

Reply to TANIA
Posted by: Carol | 2007/11/28

Have your parents had a word with the vet about their circumstances ????

My experience here in Natal with the vets has been fantastic.... I have 3 that I use regularly depending on who is available ... they all allow me to pay off an account and they all give me discount because they know my finances are tight

Reply to Carol
Posted by: Sheryl | 2007/11/28

Hi Tania

What area are your parents in? They can contact the PDSA
for help if they are in Gauteng or the Cape.
I'm not sure about other areas.

Reply to Sheryl