Question
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/09

Exhausted from exercise

I love exercise and usually have no problem motivating myself to go to gym. I've been exercising regularly (3-4 times a week) for the past 3 years or so. I do mainly spinning for cardio, but also weights training. Lately I've just been feeling exhausted after exercising. I'm on a high for maybe an hour afterwards and then I feel completely drained, and even find it hard to concentrate at work. I feel tired for days afterwards and don't seem to recuperate as quickly as I used to. I just feel that my body can't cope with it. I'm sure there are other contributing factors, like work stress, but I did take a week's break from gym and I did feel a lot better. Perhaps the spinning is too intense for me? I've been for all the relevant blood tests and there's nothing that would explain this. I'm also taking multivitamins. I really would hate to stop exercising because I enjoy staying fit, but maybe I've just taken it too far?

Hi Lee

Very difficult one and there are a number of possible explanations. I know you have had blood tests and they have shown nothing, but they don't necessarily know what to look for - there are hundreds of possible tests, so a negative test doesn't necessarily mean nothing is wrong. The classic one, which I do think you need to look at is your diet's carb content - is it possible that youa re simply not eating enough? If that happens, then you start to feel exhausted and that could explain your symptoms.

The other one is work stress. I don't think that you can underestimate this, and the fact that taking a week off training made it better does sugest that the combination of all your activities is the problem. Remember that you don't feel tired because you train, you feel tired because you train on the same day as you work, deal with life, and all it's stressed. So you have to look holistically at the situation and if work stress is particularly severe, then training must be reduced in order to cope.

So my advice is to cut back to 3 times a week, and eliminate the weight training for a week or two. Just do spinning, but if you feel tired, then don't go. Allow your body to recover, and I'm sure that in a couple of weeks, you will start to feel better. But I do have a strong suspicion that your problem is related to your work stress, and then training is the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Ross

1
Posted by: Lee | 2007/03/14

Hi Ross

Thanks so much for your response. That does make a lot of sense! It's all about balance and you're absolutely right that I need to adjust the amount and intensity of the exercise I do to account for all the other 'energy drains' in my life. For a while there I think I was playing superwoman! It has made me think, though, about finding a career that adds to my energy, rather than depleting it, as I don't want to be too tired to enjoy my life - and exercise is one of the things I really enjoy.

Thanks again.

Lee

Reply to Lee