Question
Posted by: Christine | 2004/10/12

Exhausted & dizzy

I am a 36 year old female currently on mild medication for high blood pressure, which is working well. I am currently on an eating programme on which I have lost slowly, being monitored by a homeopath. I started suffering from dizziness & nausea in last week's callenetics class, specifically when I lie down. The doctor found that my middle eardrums are under pressure, but I have not had any form of sinus, cold or similar symptoms of earache for months. My blood pressure is fine. I still struggle to focus during the day which makes me feel dizzy, am exceptionally exhausted by mid afternoon, but cannot sleep properly. I normally have loads of energy. Altho I don't have severe headaches I am aware of pressure in the base of my neck & slight pain around my forehead. I have never suffered from headaches before. I have a stressful job but these symptoms persisted over the weekend as well & I feel relaxed other than for worrying about my condition. I am very concerned that this may be a form of tumour (posterior fossa) which a friend died from last year since the symptoms sound similar to her initial symptoms, but don't want to sound overly dramatic to my doctor. Do I need to worry?

Christine, before you start looking for tumours you should first eliminate the basics like blood pressure problems, sugar problems, pregnancy, middle ear problems, thyroid problems, etc. The best would be to let your doctor know that his treatment isn’t working and see what he has to say. If the symptoms persist in spite of his treatment the best would be to see a specialist physician. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Christine | 2004/10/12

She had glioma, which was malignant (I think Grade III). She has been complaining of tiredness, had been treated for 3 mths with vitamins for 'stress-related' fatigue. After 2-3 mths her boyfriend convinced her to go for a CT Scan which revealed the tumour. Her chances were slim, but they tried to operate. She came out of the coma after the op & was moved out of ICU abt 6 days after the op, only to pass away the following day. She was only 37, healthy & positive & it was very sad. Knowing that she had blurry focus & fatigue initially, with no headaches, just makes me nervous. SInce the doctors never suspected a tumour, you always wonder if something is wrong that they don't know about. I really just need the reassurance (or not) that I am imagining the worst.

Reply to Christine
Posted by: BIBS | 2004/10/12

Pls tell me more about the tumour your friend died from, where was it, was caused, when did she discover it, what were all her symptoms etc.... could they not remove it?

Scary stuff but good to learn.

Reply to BIBS