Question
Posted by: Tz | 2004/03/11

exessive cerebrospinal fluid, causing partial loss of sight

My is a 45 year old man. He is experiencing partial loss of sight, caused by a pressure due to exessive cerebrospinal fluid in his brain. A brain tumor has been ruled out and a recent lumbar puncture also ruled out any infections. I would like to know what are the possible reasons for this build up of fluid and what treatments are available for this condition. Is this a life -threatening condition?

TZ, it might be due to a blockage somewhere, but I can’t say for sure from this side of the screen. If the pressure keeps on increasing it will eventually affect more critical parts of the brain and this may be very dangerous. That said, it sounds like he might be suffering from speudotumour cerebri or benign intracranial hypertension. This basically is increased intracranial pressure with no evidence of tumours, infections or obstruction. It often starts and disappears without any warning. If you’re interested in more information you can e-mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za. Good luck.