Question
Posted by: Julia | 2003/01/09

EXERSICES AND DIETING

An I doing the correct exercises
Posted by: Julia
Message: Hi doc
I need your help desperately. Six months ago I started doing gym and lost a lost of cm (from size 40 to 36). That was the first time that I did anything in a gym and only join because I wanted to get firmer after losing about 50kg. About three months ago I increased my exercises by doing the following alternatively: Walking 6km a day of 3 is uphill and 3 downhill. In the gym I would do 30min of cycling ( 4min light and 1min heavy) alternatively. Situps and ab exercises about 100 between three types. Weight between 40kg and 75kg. Finally I would do 100 X abductor and 100 x adductor leg and bum exercises. Weight 30-40kg. My problem is that I have now picked up weight and with dieting I cannot lose anything. The other problem is that I have gone back to a size 38-40 in my jeans and I seem to have developed bigger thights and bums. My lower calfs are nicely developed. I have also stopped swimming in the last three months. What I am doing wrong and what should I carry on doing to go back losing my 7 kg and my lots of cm.

Please help as I am really trying
Date: 7/1/2003

Subject:
Posted by: fitnessdoc
Message: Hi Julia

Your exercise routine sounds fair, so the only other angle is your eating plan, since you can only gain muscle through exercise, not fat. If the extra weight is fat - this must have been gained through your eating plan. I don't recommend dieting, but rather optimal healthy eating. Often we think we are eating a balanced healthy diet, only to discover that there is much that could be improved. I strongly recommend that you write to Dietdoc , but even better, visit a Dietician for a thorough consultation to make sure your diet is as it should be.

Diet Doc

Can you please help me? My eating plan eg:

Muesli and johgurt
Salad with tomato, gherkins(cucumber), feta cheese (halve slice), lettuce
fruit (appr 2 a day)
2 slices of seed loave with grated tussers cheese of veggies

During the weekend I will opt for barbeque and salads during lunch or
pizza (rarely)

Please help

Dear Julia
You don't mention your height in metres and weight in kg so that I can work out your BMI to see if and how much weight you need to lose. You may well be in the normal weight range and have developed bigger leg muscles from the exercises. I know this has happened to me in the past. If ths above foods are all you eat, then you are definitely NOT eating a balanced diet and your food intake is so low that your body has probably switched off its weight-loss mechanisms because it is being starved. You will also develop all kinds of deficiencies if you eat so little. Click on 'Diet' and then on 'Weight Loss' and 'Slimming Diet' to obtain a low-fat, high-fibre slimming diet. You will see that you are allowed to eat more food, as long as the foods are low-fat and high-fibre. If necessary please post a NEW message listing your height in m and weight in kg, so we can work out your BMI.
Take care