Question
Posted by: liz | 2004/11/10

exercising/diet - still no weight loss

hello doc

i have been going to the gym for the past 3 weeks 4 times a week
and i alternate between 40 min of cardio the one day (slow heart rate) to the circuit to tone my muscles on the onther however i haven't lost anything. i still weigh 67,5 kg and even if i am eating right it won't come down. Why is this? i usually lose weight very easily. i'm 17 and it's a problem. my stomach is also not firming up even though i do alot of sit-ups - properly.

Hi Liz

I think that you need to be more patient and give it a few more months - some people see super fast results, others not, and I think that all you need to do is just take some time. I see someone has said give it 6 weeks, I think that you may even take 2 months. It depends on a few things - one is your current weight - if you are not hugely overweight, then losing weight is that much more difficult, so that might be a concern. THe other thing to remember is that you will be gaining muscle mass from training, and so even if you are losing body fat, your weight won't be going down. That's why I always suggest that you don't worry about the scale, but just concentrate on getting fit and starting to feel better.

2
Posted by: Ethel | 2004/11/10

Give it at least 6 weeks and don't just look at your wait. Take your hip waist bust arm and leg meassurements and see if you don't loose centimeters. Weight loss is over rated and muscle weighs more then fat. Is a cardio workout not supposed to push up you heart rate to 60 or 80 percent of max. which is 220 minus you age.
Not an expert!!!!

Reply to Ethel
Posted by: Ethel | 2004/11/10

Not an expert!!!!

Reply to Ethel