Question
Posted by: ST | 2005/01/12

exercising with heartrate

Dear doc,

I am 26 years old, am 1.56m tall, female and weigh 95kg. As you can see I am terribly overweight. I have recently started exercising and follow a low fat, high fiber diet. My current exercise regime consist out of walking for an hour three times a week and alternating my walking with weight training. In the evenings I do pilates or gym ball exercises. I have found the walking quite intense and I can barely keep going for the full hour. I walk about 5km/h. I have however found that my heart rate keeps between 125 and 135. According to calculators I should be exercising with my heartrate between 149 to 160. Am I not pushing myself hard enough or am I doing enough to help with my weight loss?

Hi ST

I would not worry about heart rate just yet. Later on in your training, it can be a really great tool for you, but at the moment, you are probably struggling with just the muscle and tendons and the rythm of walking. I think that as your legs get stronger and you get fitter, you will actually be able to push your heart rate higher and then you might very well get into that range that they speak about. For now, though I would not worry about it at all - just go out and do your training without thinking of it, and get yourself into the fitness where you can walk for 45 minutes consistently and it will be fine.