Question
Posted by: Caring husband | 2007/03/16

Exercising but not losing weight

My wife is 30 years old, 63 kg, and are struggling to lose weight. She does aerobics classes / cardio exercises daily, but it does not seem to work for her. I must admit that she is also not eating much, so it's all getting a little depressing for her. Could you please help?

Dear Caring Husband
Exercise on its own will not cause pronounced weight loss, but when combined with a balanced, low-fat diet then it should work. You mention that your wife is eating every little and ironically this could be the problem that she is not losing weight. If one eats so little that the body perceives it is 'starving' then it switches off its weight loss systems. She can try eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) so that she has a low fat intake, but eats sufficient to provide fuel for her exercise programme. She is using the correct type of exercise as aerobics and cardio exercises burn more energy than working with weights.

5
Posted by: Exercising wife | 2007/03/17

Yes, it is me - it is my husband who's posted the question. I have to clarify that it is not him who wants me to lose weight; it is a personal thing for me. The only reason he posted the question was because he could see this thing is making me unhappy and it concerned him. I know I am not what most people would call "fat", but the 6kg that I am "overweight" at the moment is a concern for me. I mananged to pick it up in only 6 weeks (!!!) and have been struggling for 3 months to get rid of it. I haven't lost a single ounce yet! This is becoming a constant mind game, and I am afraid it has taken over my whole excistence trying to figure out how to shed the extra weight. Thank you so much for your reply - ANYTHING helps at the moment.

Reply to Exercising wife
Posted by: woman on top | 2007/03/16

Your wife has a BMI of 23.14 which is perfectly healthy. Why are you so keen on making her lose weight? What is your height and weight? Unless you are less than 40 kg, your wife's weight should not pose a problem for you. Even if she prefers the female superior position quite likely you will survive under her 63 kg. And as you lie underneath think of all those 40 kg girls who go underneath 90 kg husbands.

Reply to woman on top
Posted by: Caring Husband | 2007/03/16

Extensive exercising now for 4 months. Sometimes up to 1 hour runnig, not walking, on the treadmill. I suppose she's the average 1,65m tall?????

Reply to Caring Husband
Posted by: Lady Leah | 2007/03/16

AAAwwwww that's o sweet.... maybe it has omething to do with her metabolism????

How long has she been exercising?

Reply to Lady Leah
Posted by: Ann | 2007/03/16

Your wife weigh's 63kg. How long is she?

Reply to Ann