Question
Posted by: Frustrated | 2005/12/06

Exercising and Dieting but no weight loss

Hello

I am on weigh less and I also work out 6 dyas per week for 30 min on the Orbitrek.

This week when I went to be weighed I had PUT ON 0.2 ! I must admit that I cheated once-I ate a hamburger on Saterday evening but I hadn't had lunch or supper that day and I had been working out all week.

I expected my weight loss to be just a little less that usual because of that, but I never expected that I would put on even if it was only 2 grams.

Why did this happen?

Honestly, I would not worry at all about 0.2 kg. For all you know, it's because you had a glass of water before you weighed yourself. If you have a cup of water, that is equal to 250 g, which means you will be 0.25 g heavier than if you do not drink the water, so it really is a tiny amount and not one that you should worry about at all. The other thing to consider is that you will gain some muscle mass when you exercise for the first time, so that means you may even increase you mass. The fact that you are keeping your weight constant actually shows that you may be losing fat because you should be gaining some lean mass. So I would not worry about this. The key is to weigh yourself once every month or so, and only do it under very controlled circumstances, you have to make sure you eat similarly the day before, and the best time to weigh is as you wake up in the morning, because then little things like drinking a cup of tea can't affect it. So try that and I am sure that given enough time, you will see results. But I can also suggest that you focus more on the fitness and getting into shape than on your weight. If you make your goal to improve your fitness so that you can go for longer on the trainer, then you will certainly see results and weight will take care of itself.