Question
Posted by: Krom | 2004/11/30

Exercises to straighten back

Dear Fitness Doc

Which exercises can I do to strenghten my back muscles so as to stop slouching? My husband is constantly bugging me about my stooped posture, and I must agree, it doesn't look nice when I slouch. So I'd really like to try and fix it.

Thanx in advance!

Hi Krom

I can suggest some exercises, but remember that you are much better off going to a physio or even a chiropractor, because it's not necessarily as simple as a muscle weakness that is causing your posture. It may be spinal, in which case strengthen will have a more limited effect, and so I do hope that you will consider seeing a back expert.

As for what I can suggest, To ensure good posture and help prevent back injuries, you need strong abdominal and back muscles. When your postural muscles are both strong and flexible, they will not fatigue so easily during the day and you will be able to sit better and avoid back injuries.

Stabilisation exercises

Exercise 1:

Lie on your back with your knees bent at right angles and suck in your belly button to your spine. It helps to make a ”sssssss” sound while you are trying to tighten your lower tummy.
Imagine that you have put on weight around your belly and you need to pull up the zip of a pair of tight jeans. Make sure you have mastered this position before you advance on to the other exercises.

Tip: Try activating these deep abdominal stabilising muscles in a standing position too.
It is a good idea to be aware of activating your stabilisers during your activities of daily living,
for example, while walking, picking up or carrying objects, washing and sitting.

Exercise 2:

In the starting position, lift one leg at a time off the floor and do little “marches” with your heels only slightly touching the floor. Make sure your back keeps flush on the floor, and does not arch up. March with alternate legs 10 times each.
Exercise 4:

Lie with both knees bent up and your feet flat on the floor, shoulder width apart. Tighten your abdominal muscles, lift buttocks and straighten one leg out with your toes pointing up towards the ceiling. Lift the straightened leg up and down slowly. Keep your pelvis level at all times. Repeat 10 times each side.

Here are 3 different abdominal exercises that you can try.

Crunches: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor. Rest your hands next to your ears. Slowly lift your shoulders off the ground, tightening your abdominal muscles. Hold the position for 3-5 seconds. Do 10 to 15 reps.

Crossover crunches: Do abdominal crunches as above, but touch your opposite knee with your opposite elbow. Keep your upper body raised off the floor and keep the movement slow and controlled. Ensure your hips do not rock off the floor. Do 10 to 15 reps

Combined crunches: Position: Lie on your back, with your hips and knees at right angles and your ankles crossed. Rest your hands next to your ears. Perform an abdominal crunch by moving your elbows and knees towards each other. Hold that contracted position for 3-5 seconds before releasing it back to the start position. Do 10 to 15 reps

Here are 4 back stretches that you can try:

1. On all fours. Round your back by pushing as far upwards as possible with your hands and knees remaining on the ground.

2. Lying on the ground with your body extended. Slowly bring your knees to your chest and hug them. You can then hug your right leg only, hold for 30 seconds and then change over and hug your left leg only.

3. Back - standing: Standing upright with your back straight, feet shoulder width apart and knees slightly bent. Link hands in front of you and slowly lift upwards and forward, as if to separate the shoulder blades. You should feel the stretch in your upper back.

4. Lower back and buttocks: Sit with your back straight up and hug your right knee across to your left shoulder. Look over your right shoulder to increase the stretch. Hold this position for 30 seconds and repeat 3 times, alternating with the opposite knee and shoulder.

Remember, most importantly, you can consciously alter your posture by just being aware of when you are slouching, and then make a concerted effort to avoid this. Even if you have to ask people to tell you off for slouching, do it.

1
Posted by: Krom | 2004/11/30

Thank you so much for answering with so much detail! and also for the good tips!

Reply to Krom